While strolling through ESPN.com for the 60th time today, I caught a great column from new online columnist J.A. Adande personally introducing himself to the readers of the good folks at the Worldwide Leader.
After reading the column, it got me to thinking. How can I just blog to people about very touchy subjects without really throwing myself out there.
My first post was a half-assed introduction that I'm sure nobody read or gave a f*ck about. So without further ado, it is with the utmost pride and sincerity that I present this blogging, as a living testament and recollection of history in the making during our generation.
- My name is Tristan "Trey" Jones, I hail from the Southside of Houston, TX.
- I'm a featured writer for Houston Style Magazine and Strong Sports. Check those out if you're in the city.
- I went to Ross Shaw Sterling High School, class of '03.
- I played basketball for Sterling during my tenure there. Point guard to be exact.
- I'm admittedly the biggest Rockets fan on the planet. And I hate the Mavericks. I said it.
- I'm probably the biggest Jay-Z fan on the planet. Hate if you will. He still running this rap shit.
- I started blogging because I hate the word restrictions I'm confined to in the magazines I love writing for. I can't just give you 700 words about Steve Francis rejoining the Rockets.
- I think I know more about the NBA than I should know, though I welcome anybody that differs from my points.
- I absolutely, positively love to argue. Basketball, football, rap. Hell, I'll argue about something I agree with just for the fun of it.
- I hate rap nowadays. It's too disposable and basic. I grew up on Jay, Nas, 2Pac, Scarface, Biggie, Wu-Tang, UGK, S.U.C, Outkast, Ice Cube, Eminem, Talib, Mos Def, when rappers could make you dance while still throwing a little piece of knowledge in your dome.
- I think David Stern catapulted the NBA.
- I think David Stern is slowly ruining the NBA.
- I only play NFL Madden until NBA Live comes out. Call me weird.
- Allen Iverson is my favorite player of all time.
- As a former pg, I never ever modeled my game after him. That would have been T.J. Ford.
- T.J. Ford is tied for the greatest college point guard I've ever seen.
- Jason Williams is the other greatest college pg I've ever seen. Nasty he was.
- I'm a big North Carolina fan, so the above statement is very hard to admit. I hate Duke with a passion.
- I attend Texas Southern University.
- The second I get into the University of Texas for grad school, I'm going to pretend I never went to TSU. You have to be from Houston to understand why.
- As subjective and biased as I seem to be about a lot of things, I can always speak truthfully and objectively about anything. Except the Mavs. (Kidding)
- Jason Kidd is still the best point guard in the world. Period. (Post coming later about this)
- One day you'll (hopefully) see me on ESPN.com.
- My favorite sportswriters are
Bill Simmons, Scoop Jackson, Henry Abbot at TrueHoop, J.A. Adande, everybody at Slam, just to name a few. Check them out also if you haven't already.
- I turn 22 on August 20th. Leos stand up!
- Most of all, I appreciate anybody that reads my blogs, comments, whatever. I just do this because I have a billion thoughts in my head and I need a place to release them.